Roy And My Meandering Thoughts

10:21 AM

As per usual, I was floating around the blogoshphere and came across someone of interest. This particular person is Roy who is a the craftsman behind Roy Jeans. I say craftsman because he has honed his skill in making denim jeans. To find out more about him, click here.

So why am I interested? Well simply put, after watching the following videos I realised where home for me is. It always amazes me how at peace I am when I'm sitting behind a sewing machine, when I see and feel a garment coming into reality in my hands. So where did I go wrong? I went to a Fashion College. You're probably wondering "Well, isn't that what you are suppose to do if you want to be a Fashion Designer?" In theory, yes, but in reality, I would say be an apprentice. I know an ancient term, but at least you would have been immersed completely in what you want to do in life. You don't have to go running to your art history class or your Philosophy class on what are some terminology you will never use (*snore*, literally, I had to imbibe caffeine to stay awake), instead of sitting in front of a machine and becoming so acquainted with it you master it. Can you imagine not waiting for less enthusiastic peers to finish with a machine so you can get to it. And don't get me started on fellow classmates who you know could really care less about the correct construction of a dolman sleeve. Am I ranting? Maybe a little.

I came across a young lady right here in little Wadadli who is applying to my Fashion alma mater, and she is such a dear. Anyway, she was telling me about the what they are demanding from applicants in terms of their portfolios and I am so grateful I'm not applying because you almost have to be a fashion designer already to get in. But you know who I blame? Project Runway! Don't get me wrong, I like the show but once again television has produced a fake image of what the fashion world is all about. Majority of fashion school graduates will end up being swallowed up by mass market firms where the extent of their working in fabric is at a fitting and it's the sample maker who will be touching the fabric. Do I sound bitter? Maybe a little.

I'm so happy that I came across Roy, because I want to be him. No, I don't want to be a white guy, but I would like to have a studio and be working on garments that I know will be sitting in a store to be found by it's owner. Maybe wishful thinking but it's that type of thinking that built ships and conquered the world.

Anyway, here are some videos about Roy

Roy's Jeans - Video by Self Edge from Self Edge on Vimeo.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Join Me On Instagram

Subscribe