Just Remember

9:59 AM


It's been a year since the earthquake in Haiti and it asks the question what has been done? Well, it isn't pretty, between aid not reaching the people who need, the cholera epidemic, the election violence, the slowness in the rebuilding effort and violence in the camps, including rape. The other question is what can we do?

Right after the earthquake, in Antigua the cell companies had text numbers for customers to give money and we have a Haitian minister of religion who was asking people to deposit money in a particular bank account. I had done both. I can't speak for the cell companies, but the minister every now and then would show us on the local channel what was done with the money he collected. Granted, they were small things but they helped and it saddens me that other agencies we unable to do the like. Imagine the amount of good works could be done, little by little.

I'm not going to lie to you and say I know what to do for Haiti. It's not to say I have the power to go in an change Haiti for the better. All I can say is that I will not forget Haiti and that I wish that it will become a strong nation. Their ancestors have worked and struggled to own their land, they were the first island to be done with slavery and become independent, they should be miles ahead of the rest of us, but they are not.

To the people of Haiti, love your fellow man and work together to pull yourselves out of poverty. To the rest of the world, let us keep our resources available to this country, let us not turn our backs on it. We are as strong as our weakest link and one of our weakest links is Haiti.

If there is any thing you can do today, January 12th, just remember.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Join Me On Instagram

Subscribe