GREED

11:01 AM

Astrology {Unboxed}
You may have noticed that I haven't done a lot of posts this week, in fact those that appeared where scheduled from before. The last two weeks have been emotionally draining at work and it is a situation whereas you get over one shocking revelation and then another appears. So it's a constant emotional rollercoaster. Then there are the situations where I think up great things to write about early in the morning, but when I get to the computer I'm blank.  Maybe, I'll wake up earlier and write.

Anyway, this post is about Greed which is kind of related to work and this whole economic sh!t storm. As you may or may not know Greed is considered one of the Deadly Sins and there is that little biblical quote people like to bring up "money is the root of all evil". In reality the full quote says
For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs. ~1 Timothy 6:10
Oh for the record I'm not religious but with the amount of people who are religious in my family, I can't help it.

Anyway, if you really look at them you realize that that they speak more to excess than anything else. Truth be told, happiness comes from balance. A great example is health and fitness, you don't have to workout every single day, but if you stay active at least half of the week, you will get great results and maintain those results. Also by allowing yourself cheat days, you are more likely than not to stick to a healthy diet. That is what all the sins speak to, excess to one thing or another. But I'm going to focus on Greed.

Yesterday, I came across this Ted talk through Fit Villains, one of the people I follow on Tumblr and that is when it hit home.



Well the actual part that hit home was when she said that companies were willing to genitically manipulate animals and plants to improve their profit margin to the detriment of the American publics' health. WOW!, let me say this again, WOW!!

Then I asked myself why do they need a greater profit margin? But why do we think that we need so much money? Why do we look at billionaires, point to them and say "I want to be them?" And the answer that keeps coming back to me is
Because we want stuff.
We want the mansion, the posh apartment, the latest handbag, the latest smartphone, a new wardrobe every season, a pimped out Mustang, a Harley Davidson, to travel to every country in the world, and the list goes on and on. If you look at a lot of Tumblrs or Polyvore mood boards they scream consumption of goods.

Getting there...

Getting there... by girley

Society and the media doesn't help. More and more we are bombarded by images telling us to buy buy buy! In newspapers, magazines, on television, on websites, on the road. But don't get me wrong, a whole industry had been created for the sole purpose of convincing us to buy, those people are just doing their job. It also encourages tv programs and media people to deliver great work, the better or the more a show is accepted the more money they get through advertising.

What I think though, is that the responsibility is on us the public to be smarter consumers,
Oh and just letting you know, God for me is not a guy in the sky, but something much bigger that put everything in motion. It (not her or she) is bigger than anything I can phantom. Thanks for reading if you made it this far.
  • to understand the value of what we are purchase;
  • to really ask ourselves if why we are purchasing something because we need it or because it is suppose to make us feel better about ourselves. Really people, a chewing gum is not going to make us ultra cool, that comes from being self aware and loving yourself, warts and all;
  • to recognise who we are, who we want to be and what we want in life and go after that, not what the ad on the side of the bus tells us to do;
Through television and the internet we are open to so many options and possiblities, but life is short and you don't need to do and have all the things in the world. I know there are at least two shows out there that speak to the topic of hoarding. Those people have a lot of stuff, but the stuff doesn't make them happy, in fact they have a new set of grieviences.

Hoarding: Buried Alive on TLC
Looking at it now, I see it as before you embark on anything, sit in a quiet place and identify what you want and then make a concerted effort to pursue that. Only get things that speak to your spirit and genuinely excites you, like the awesome cow boy hats I saw the other day.
photoport


This may be my perspective on it, but I think by say 2006 and 2007, all the people with good credit ratings had already reached their limit and were just focusing on paying down their debt. It was then that lending agencies were willing to try going after people with poor credit ratings and you know what happened. Down here we don't have agencies that makes it easy to see if someone is a good credit risk, so with the business in which I work, we took chances, and they have burnt us big time. It's hard to be a middle person because your supplier wants their money, but your customer isn't paying because
  • he's sick,
  • his business isn't generating sufficient funds,
  • he isn't working,
  • he's dead (okay, that can't be helped),
  • the government hadn't paid him,
  • he's at court suing someone else for his money,
  • he didn't get paid for the job,
  • he is a dumbass
Okay, that last part was more of a rant. And to leave on a religious not, (I swear I'm not religious : P)
Dear Heavenly Father, oh screw that, hey Big G and original Jiga! It's your girl, Kim. I don't know if you noticed but we're pretty much having a shit year this year, between brutal revolutions, famine, natural disasters and a crap economy. I know they say "God don't give you anything that you can't handle," but we've gotten a bit soft so it's taking a while for us to handle this. I guess what I'm asking for is the strength and wisdom to see this through and to keep my sanity. I want those we owe to have patience and understand that this is more a reflection of the times than a reflection of us as business people. I want the people who do have the money to make wise purchases again, so that money can circulate and pump life back into our economy.
There are so many things I have to thank you for, namely my life, the fact that I have all my physical parts and my sanity, the fact that I was able to eat this morning and I know I will eat at least two more times today. The only thing I can promise you is that I have learned the lessons that come with this crisis like to live within my means and to recognize that it's not the things that matter but the connections we make with others and the satisfaction we find when we work hard at the things we love doing. Most importantly, I've learned to have faith, faith that things will get better and that people will do the right thing and even though they don't, I know I will do the right thing.
Much love. Kim signing out.
Oh and FYI, I don't think of God as a guy sitting in the sky, I think of it (not he or she) as something bigger than anything I can phantom. Thanks for reading if you've made it this far.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Join Me On Instagram

Subscribe