The Help

12:59 PM


My sister beat me to reviewing this movie, damn her and her internet connection. Anyway, I saw the help last night and I liked it. In fact, I want to watch it with my mom because I know she would be laughing and enjoying the movie. I know there was a lot of negativity on the internet about it portraying black women negatively and the like. Honestly, I think is a movie for all black women to watch, if only for them to see how far we've come from that time which was about 50 - 60 years ago. Right now we have a lot to be grateful for.



There are so many things I love about this movie, to start I liked that the trailer didn't give everything away. I am so tired of Hollywood giving us trailers that basically give away the whole movie and then they would put out little featurettes. Hello, if you do that, what is the point of me going out to see the movie if I already know most of what happened. In the help, there were a couple side stories and a few actors that I didn't know was in the movie and I hadn't seen in a long while.

Another thing I liked was the side story with Minnie, to me she stole the show in terms of the comedic elements. What I like about stories about this time in American history is that Black people took what was pushed on them and despite the pain it caused them, they adapted but when they stood up for themselves they sometimes did it with grace and self respect.

I know I'm not doing a great job reviewing this, in part because I don't want to give away too much, but it was a good movie and I can understand why it has been #1 at the box office. I'm honestly thinking about taking my mom to see it.

As for the question of can a white woman tell the story of a black woman. Let me put it this way, James Patterson has been doing it for years. In his case, his main and most interesting character (in my book) is Alex Cross who is a black man while James Patterson is a white man. The movie is good and it tells a good story, so get over the negativity, take a couple friends with you and have a laugh.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Join Me On Instagram

Subscribe