Dalai Lama XIV

7:59 AM

I'll be honest, I was not going to continue with the people I admire because the people I already have are pretty awesome and who else could I possibly tap into when I need inspiration? Then on Wednesday when I was about to put the quote of the week on one of the FaceBook pages I maintain, one person came to mind - The Dalai Lama. So I went searching for his quotes and I must say a few of them hit the spot.

The people I already have are strong and inspiring people, but the Dalai Lama deals with the spiritual, not the religious, but spiritual. That part that gets neglected in the pursue of material gains that we label as happiness. No, that flat screen TV will not make me feel better, nor will the smart phone with apps I will never use. To strip away all that and accept that I have to find peace within myself and to love others, seeing that conflicts are opportunities to grow and be stronger in spirit and character. To me the Dalai Lama has a quiet strength that is supported by love and compassion for others. Just my thoughts.

Pics
source
source
source
source


Quotes

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions."  

"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito."

"Remember that the best relationship is one in which your love for each other exceeds your need for each other." 

"Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively." 

"Every day, think as you wake up, today I am fortunate to be alive, I have a precious human life, I am not going to waste it. I am going to use all my energies to develop myself, to expand my heart out to others; to achieve enlightenment for the benefit of all beings. I am going to have kind thoughts towards others, I am not going to get angry or think badly about others. I am going to benefit others as much as I can."  

"Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them." 

 "I believe compassion to be one of the few things we can practice that will bring immediate and long-term happiness to our lives. I’m not talking about the short-term gratification of pleasures like sex, drugs or gambling (though I’m not knocking them), but something that will bring true and lasting happiness. The kind that sticks." 

"This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness."  

"Take into account that great love and great achievements involve great risk." 

"Old friends pass away, new friends appear. It is just like the days. An old day passes, a new day arrives. The important thing is to make it meaningful: a meaningful friend - or a meaningful day."  

"Look at children. Of course they may quarrel, but generally speaking they do not harbor ill feelings as much or as long as adults do. Most adults have the advantage of education over children, but what is the use of an education if they show a big smile while hiding negative feelings deep inside? Children don't usually act in such a manner. If they feel angry with someone, they express it, and then it is finished. They can still play with that person the following day." 

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."  

For more great quotes, click here.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Join Me On Instagram

Subscribe