Writing Prompts #1

9:30 PM

A couple posts back, I posted about this new concept to me called Writing Prompts that I found on another blog. It took me approximately 11 days to pull up the courage to do the first one. The first one is as follows:

01. seek out the real you. what inspires you? find books with passages highlighted and markings in the margins. start with the quotes and go from there. why does it speak to you? what about this statement makes you feel? who do you want to be? hunt down college notebooks if you have to. go to the place when you felt alive and write from there.


The prospect of seeking out the real me was quite daunting but I'm going to let it flow. So here it is me flowing.

What inspires me? Almost everything, the sky, the whole vast nature of it, the clouds from the leviathans of the sky to those like the scales of a fish. People inspire me, I mentioned Quentin Tarantino in my other blog, he inspires me to do what you love, he loves movies, I love clothes. I'm inspired by his making a style of his own. It's funny how nature inspires me so much and I spend so little time in it. I'm fascinated by the stars and I love the moon.


I read a lot, well I did. Now I look at it I believe I'm going to go back to literature, books that had depth and dimension as opposed to a basic story. He did this, she did that. One of the books that I've read more than once was Pride and Prejudice. A delightful read indeed, that is a funny statement coming from a Black Chic. I've started to read motivational books but I have a problem of not finishing them. I think a part of me wants to be an underachiever, good thing that part is going to die.

I once had this quote that I liked,
Do or do not, there is no try.

To me it means, you're either doing it or you're not, to say you're going to try means you don't have the belief that you're going to do it well, and why do something if you're not going to do it well.

Another quote I liked was
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

I guess that is one that I failed to live up to. I let life's shortcomings make me believe it can't be done. I censored myself so much that I became a shell of other people's opinions. Looking back at life, there was a lot of things I would have changed or done differently. For one I would have stayed in New York. I can't undo those things, but what I can do is change the way I do things from now on.

The places where I felt the most alive are the places that scare me. Being stranded in the Frankfurt airport, then Amsterdam airport, walking around in Cuba alone. I guess I have two types of fears, the one that tells me no don't do that and the one that pushes me forward. I need to feel the latter more often.

Who am I now? A person stuck, a person who has dug a whole so deep that it doesn't look like she can get out. The thing is I will get out, I can't live like this forever. This is my life and I intend to live it my way. I am the only one responsible for my own happiness, I intend to be happy.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Join Me On Instagram

Subscribe