Happyness

3:22 AM


Once again, I discovered an interesting article through A Cup of Jo. This one was found on the New York Magazine website titled 50 Steps to Simple Happiness. Unfortunately, a few of them are targeted at one's pocket, but there are a few that are pretty nice like:

2. “Make your bed. Go figure, but outer order contributes to inner calm. Especially if you’re living in a small space—but even if you’re living in a gigantic loft. Start each day with a concrete, albeit tiny (and therefore manageable!), accomplishment.” —Gretchen Rubin, Author, The Happiness Project
One day, I decided I was going to make my bed before I eat breakfast and go to work. It doesn't take long and there is a nice feeling when you slip into a made up bed.

12. If you see a parking cop working his or her way up the street, put a quarter into someone’s expired meter.
This just a nice thing to do, and I read somewhere that happiness can be found by just helping someone else.

13. “Just say yes every time your partner wants to have sex. It’s only twenty minutes out of your day, and it makes you both feel better. If you’re not in a relationship, say yes to your own private date night at least three times a week.” —Claire Cavanah, Co-Founder, Babeland
I think would make anyone less stressed because every time you say no, you worry about hurting the other person's feelings and blah, blah, blah...

17. Socialize with the convivial, rosy-cheeked crowd at Dandelion Wine in Greenpoint. Come for Friday-night tastings or newly arrived wines (153 Franklin St., nr. India St., Greenpoint; 347-689-4563).
I would say go to any of your regular haunts where there are good people and opportunities to have a good conversation. If needs be, bring your own good people.

19. “Give the people pushing in the subway or rushing in the streets the benefit of the doubt by imagining that it is really important for them to get where they are going.” —Rabbi Irwin Kula, President, National Jewish Center for Learning And Leadership
It's so easy to be angry, and yet there is a feeling of wisdom and a sense of being triumphant when you can control one's anger and see the world through the eyes of someone else.

32. “Carry yourself more erect. Poor posture is a self-fulfilling prophecy of gloom. You can improve your outlook and confidence simply by improving your posture.” —Eva Pelegrin, Founder, Attune Holistic Fitness
This is more of a reminder to myself. I just sat up a bit straighter.

39. Spend some time with animals; pet the felines in the “cat loft” at BARC, a no-kill animal shelter in Williamsburg. Or volunteer to walk one of the 40 or so dogs (barcshelter.org for details).
There is something about animals that always brings a smile to one's face.

All in all, this article was more of an advertisement for different business around NYC, unfortunately, some of us are broke and don't live in NYC. For me, anyway, I like the following things, they make me happy,:
  • Going to the beach with family and/or friends, it's almost like you are required to have fun. I don't even remember a time when I didn't have a good time at the beach;
  • Going to your special spot, there is a place in Antigua called Devil's Bridge that is my most favourite spot in the world. To me it's important to go to those places when you need to get back to the person that is you (God, that sounds so New Age-y);
  • Reading a good book, while curled up in bed or a comfortable seat;
  • Watching a movie with good friends and/or family. There was the time I watched Armageddon in the dorms with about 4-5 other people, and the special moment was at the end and the credits are rolling and Steven Tyler is belting out "I don't want to close my eyes," and everyone in the room is singing along. Oh and don't get me started with watching horror movies and you are so scared.
  • Eating out with friends, good food, good drinks, good company and great conversation;
  • Great conversation. It could be talking and you come away with a new way at looking at the world, or talking and leaving feeling good and having no clue what you were talking about;
  • A good guy friend, the type that has no sexual intentions towards you but the two of you just gel;
  • Anything that makes me wiggle my toes with happiness, delicious ice cream, sushi, Kong Pao Chicken with white rice, a beautiful sunset, a good stretch;
  • Hanging with my siblings, for some reason we are a force to be reckoned with, we draw you in with our coolness;
  • A cup of tee and doing a fashion illustration.
  • Then there is one of the coolest (for me anyway) way to be happy: Just decide to be happy, before you jump or crawl out of bed in the morning, say to yourself that you choose to be happy to day, even smile if you need extra reinforcements.

So that is my take on happiness, what is your take? I might add to this list at a later date, but here is one important thing to remember, what makes you happy is not what makes another person happy. It's important to seek out what makes you happy, and remember that life doesn't have to be a total misery.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Join Me On Instagram

Subscribe