I Was Split Going In: A Movie Review

6:49 PM


Let me begin by saying I was split in going to watch this movie. Part of me wanted to see James McAvoy, I view him as an amazing actor and was looking forward to him playing multiple characters. But part of me didn't want to see a movie by M. Night Shyamalan.

It Started With A Love Affair

It was back in 1999, my first semester at college and I went to see a movie by myself in NYC. The movie was the Sixth Sense and I loved it. I mean tell everyone I know loved it. I held Shyamalan in high esteem because he made this thrilling, thought provoking movie and I was like


Then he disappointed me. And I truly understood the meaning of there being a thin line between love and hate. Hell, he did After Earth!! I couldn't even make it through to the middle. Woosah.

But This Is Different

So my sister drags me out of the house and we go to see this movie and at first, I'm hating the opening credits. Then the movie starts and I'm getting into it. McAvoy is amazing, be on the look out for Hedwig and et cetera. Be prepared to laugh a little, have your mind blown a little. Be ready to feel the suspense and to yell at the screen. You know there has to be at least one trusting person that you are waiting for them to be killed.

It may appear like a single narrative, but there are two going on and as the movie continues you have an understanding of the female lead and why she is what she is and how it saves her. I must say in promoting the movie it wasn't given it away and I feel like Shyamalan has come full circle. Oh, and stay for the end because you might see an unexpected character.

Why To Watch Split

If you like to watch a thriller that is beautifully crafted and has you engaged, watch this movie. If you want to see an actor do his thang, watch this movie. If you are looking to watch an M. Night Shyamalan movie and not leave the theatre feeling  lackluster, watch this movie.

Then again, this is my opinion, watch it for yourself and come to your own.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Join Me On Instagram

Subscribe