Miss Representation

9:37 AM

source
Last night, I went to a screening of Miss Representation that was put on my The Department of Gender Affairs and August Rush (the same group that puts on Expressions: Poetry At The Pub). I've mentioned this documentary on this blog under the post, Worth Watching. It had shown twice on OWN, unfortunately I don't have cable so I missed it both times. I was so happy when I found out that there was going to be a screening that I made sure I was there at the appointed time. There was also time allotted afterwards for discussion. Now, my take on it......

source
I liked it, it just affirmed some of the things I've been thinking about like the fact that women in movies and TV are either eye candy or looking for love. It was also an eyeopener when it came to the statistics where the number of teen girls with depression had doubled over the last ten years or the fact that women represent 51% of the population but hold less than 30% of the seats in government and on the boards of major companies (and I'm being generous with that percentage).

I also found it interesting that the media focuses most of its money trying to get the 18-37 male demographic, neglecting to recognize that a major group that watches television are women. One of the things that I've been thinking about is the hyper-sexualization of the media and this documentary had presented my thoughts in a visual format, but went a step further and showcased some of the things that I had not noticed. For instance, I never noticed how short Tinker Bell's dress was.

This was not an all woman, lambaste men documentary, well in my oppinion anyway. I see it as a call to arms for women to think outside the box that we were conditioned to exist in and to pursue jobs and roles that were not held by women. This documentary brought to my attention that perhaps the reason men "hold" women back is because they don't know how to perceive a strong, smart woman. It is easy to put women in a box but what if exist outside their box. Does it make men uncomfortable?

During the discussion after the screening, one woman pointed out that it is not a matter of men and women, it is about having self-confidence. When she said that, everything clicked into place for me. If a man or woman is self-confident, they would not feel threatened by the gains of others, in fact they are more likely to support and encourage the person. Also, the roles of men and women are so ingrained in our societies that it is hard for the majority to be strong enough to accept change.

source
God, I can go on and on, but I am loathe to write long posts because I start to ramble. But I will leave with this point, I will be honest, I was not a fan of Condoleezaa Rice. Looking back at it, it was more a result on the president she was under and the policies they brought forward. I didn't really made an oppinion based on her as an individual, I started to have a new oppinion of her after seeing an interview she did on The Daily Show. Now The Daily Show is very liberal and unlike a lot of conservative, Republican figures she was cool and collect and answered Jon Stewarts questions respectfully and with a smile. She had that same engaging poise in this documentary and I have no shame in saying she is a great role model for women who want to go into politics.


To end at last, great documentary, check out the Miss Representation site, a lot of good stuff and for my part, I will try to put out more post that will encourage thought in you and debate is always great.

If you have seen the film, leave a comment and let me know what you thought of it.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Join Me On Instagram

Subscribe